Constitution Station – Brussels
Studies for structural work and finishing of the new Constitution station and tunnels (metro and tram) connecting to the existing infrastructure.
The site lies within a densely occupied area, at a major traffic hub for road (busy intersection of Boulevard Maurice Lemonnier and Boulevard du Midi for a fast route across Brussels) and rail (Midi station and Nord-Midi Junction viaduct).
The works are as follows:
- Constitution Station (section C4a), under Avenue de Stalingrad and Boulevard du Midi, approximately 325 m in length;
- Two metro tunnel sections:
- A metro tunnel approx. 250 m long, partially under the Palais du Midi, between the existing track under Boulevard Lemonnier and the new station;
- A metro tunnel between the new station and the existing Midi Station (approx. 275 m), under Constitution Square and Boulevard Jamar.
- Two tramway tunnel sections:
- A tramway tunnel under Boulevard du Midi and Avenue Fonsny, between Constitution Station and the existing Midi Station (approx. 325 m including approx. 100 m of existing road tunnel to be adapted).
- Tunnel bored under the water table, beneath existing buildings (optimisation of the alignment to avoid existing foundations, choice of tunnel excavation methods, etc.);
- Preservation of the existing buildings and works located above and close to the route (Senne underground river, floodwater evacuator, existing tunnels, railway viaduct, etc.);
- Limitation of impact on (pre)metro and tram operation (including for the tunnel section to be built under Avenue Fonsny maintaining tram traffic on the surface);
- Lowering of the raft of an existing tunnel down, under water table level;
- Study of works phasing to limit nuisance and traffic disruption on the surface;
- Accommodation of future platform walls.
Complete architecture and stability mission in association with Systra and Sumproject.