Mons Memorial Museum
Conversion of the waterworks into a new military history interpretation centre, the Mons Memorial Museum, situated near the Polytechnic faculty. This new museum space will attract visitors of all ages to find out about the World Wars of the 20th century.
The main building was constructed in 1870-71 when Mons was supplied with a drinking water system. It was listed in 1977 and restored by the National bank in the early 1990s. It was then sold to the City of Mons in 1996.
The existing building has been extended with two new contemporary wings built of concrete on a system of piles, due to the poor bearing capacity of the soil.
The east wing juts out with a 12 m overhang en has a spiral shape.
This building occupies 3,000 m² and houses 5,000 items from the City’s military history collections.
Complete stability mission