Liège -Airport – Lemaire quarry rehabilitation
Rehabilitation of an old tertiary-sand quarry within the scope of the extention works for the Liège-Bierset airport.
The 170 000 m³ of waste, partially filling in the quarry, mainly consists in coal deads (130 000 m³) as well as in various waste from the construction sector (40 000 m³).
The waste have been maintained in place thanks to the works below:
- discharging the suspicious or unwilling components in a registered garbage dump,
- setting up a chalk layer on the current backfills in order to increase the percolating water pH,
- backfilling and streamlining the quarry with alluvium (200 000 m³),
- setting up a waterproof layer linked with the peripheral drain under the silt layer in order to limit the percolation,
- construction of a peripheral drain that catches the runoff water, linked with a new storm basin,
- enhancing the landscape value.
Mission : preliminary and definitive studies, execution project